Race Horse Weathervane
This Weathervane is modeled after ‘Spokane’ and his Jockey, winners of the 1889 Kentucky Derby.
Hand Sculpted Copper figure complete with ornamental balls, brass directionals, and stainless steel post.
- SIZE Click For Chart.
- 60″L x 36″H figure + 36″H Assembly = 72″H weathervane + 36“H mounting root.
- Jockey is not included in pricing but can be added.
- Extra post length is available. Click Here to order separately.
- This piece can be made in other sizes. Email for quote.
- This weathervane requires a skilled sculptor. Our Sculpting schedule is generally 4 to 5 months from deposit.
- A deposit only, is required at checkout, the balance will be due on completion.
- Packing fees are charged now but Freight charges will be collect on arrival..
Horse Weathervanes have a quality of motion that is inherently charming. Equestrian figures were very popular in the late 1800s because horses were the main mode for transportation and working farms. Later they became sporting obsessions. Only the wealthy could play but everyone could be a spectator. Horse racing, polo, dressage and fox hunting were so popular that the particular horses and their riders became celebrities like sports figures are today. Their likenesses were made into molds. Copper sheets were hammered into the molds then soldered together to recreate the body. These beautifully executed figures were recognized in the 1960s as folk art and continue to be cherished as symbols of Americana today.
Choose from one of these individually hand crafted, copper weathervanes or have a custom one created for you.
Each hand sculpted weathervane comes with your choice of finish and is signed & dated by the artist.