1. (SKIP TO STEP 3 IF INSTALLING A ROOF CAP ONLY.) First, determine if it is possible to drill a 3/4″ hole into solid wood in the peak of your roof for the bottom of the finial’s post. This is the best method for anchoring a finial. Drill a plumb hole into the peak. Smaller finials 6″- 9″ depth. Larger Finials 10″-12″ depth. Measure the post below the finial, deduct 1″ – 2″ and that is the depth for that finials’ post.
2. The finial’s bottom-most ornament should be about 1″ to 2″ above the roof peak or roof cap’s peak.
3. Properly seal the roof with roofing material before installing the cap. **ROOF CAPS ARE USED FOR ORNAMENTAL PURPOSES ONLY and NOT for supporting a finial or weathervane or sealing a roof from weather.**
4. Use PLENTY of clear adhesive silicone caulking inside the cap, around the screw holes, around the bottom of the post, and inside the tube opening where the finial enters the cap. Place caulk into the hole in the roof if installing a finial or weathervane.
5. If installing a finial alone, press the post into the caulked hole in the roof. Make sure the joint where the post goes into the roof is well caulked and you’re done.
6. If installing both a finial and roof cap, use care to assure that the edges on the bottom of the cap will not get caught, push firmly, but not forcibly, onto the roof peak. Secure it with copper-coated stainless steel screws in the holes provided by placing 2 opposite screws to start. (Drill holes if not provided). Double-check the plumb and finish securing the cap to the roof. Finish by placing caulking around the inside of the bushing in the cap and slide the finial down into the cap and into the roof. Place more caulk at the joint where the post enters the cap. (tip: Wet silicone cleans easily with a cloth rag damp with paint thinner.)
Make sure to drill the hole plumb!
Copper is soft and will bend and dent easily. Use caution when handling!
This sheet is intended as a suggestion. Use any superior methods of installation available!
For best results, use the best quality adhesive silicone caulking available; applying liberal amounts throughout the installation.